Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a course that is pursued after class 10. The course focuses on imparting professional specialization in the field of designing. The course includes the application of laws of physics for design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems.
Students who choose the course are taught to form and collect motors and structures, control plants and vehicles of all sizes, understand concepts of mechanics, kinetics, hydraulics, energy, and vitality.
Anyone who possesses excellent mechanical engineering and technical drawing skills can apply for the course. The new curriculum of course also requires students to know a certain set of computer skills for designing machines and equipment.
Candidates must pass class 10 or class 12 with physics, chemistry and mathematics as subjects of study. The candidate must score good marks like above 50% in the board exams to have a proper chance of getting admission in a college of his choice.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Admission Process
The admission process is mostly merit-based, based on the class 10 Board Exam. But there are certain colleges that take in students based on entrance exams like Chandigarh University. Thus there are two modes of entry for a diploma in mechanical engineering, they are merit-based and entrance based. The process for entrance based admission process is:
- Students will have to get the qualifying marks in order to get admission in such a college.
- After the test, a merit list will be published listing the candidates that have passed the examination.
- After the final admission process and submission of fees, the student is required to register himself in the institute for the academic year.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Eligibility
A student can get admission for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering after his class 10 boards or 12 boards according to his choice. The eligibility requirements of both are stated below:
- Candidates must have passed 10th grade from any recognized Board with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
- Candidate with a 10th passing certificate and a Certificate in Motorcycle Service and Repair (CMSR)
- Candidates must have passed 12th grade with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as main subjects, and must have obtained a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates).
|Exam Type||Semester/Year wise|
|Eligibility||Class 10 Pass with 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Entrance Exam|
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: What is it about?
- A diploma in Mechanical Engineering is just an extension of the various domains of engineering. The course deals with the application of principles of mechanical systems.
- It seeks to provide more accessible and quality education. The course touches each and every aspect of the working of vehicle engines, watercraft, aircraft, warming and cooling frameworks, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics.
- Apart from this, the course touches the concepts of mechanics, kinetics, fluid mechanics, energy, and many more.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: Why Study?
- A Diploma course in Mechanical Engineering deals with the application of principles of mechanical systems.
- The course teaches various academic and practical aspects related to the domain to the students in a gradual manner.
- It gives you a chance to enter into the workforce just after 3 years of passing class 10.
- The student has the chance to do further studies down the line to add value to his Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
The detailed semester wise syllabus of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is stated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Mathematics||Manufacturing Engineering|
|Engineering Physics||Applied Mechanics||Fluid Mechanics|
|Engineering Drawing/Graphics||Material Science||Thermodynamics|
|Workshop (Practical)||Mechanical Drafting||Strength of Materials|
|Communication Skills||Basic Civil Engineering||Applied Electronics and Electrical Engineering|
|-||-||CADD (Computer-Aided Machine Design and Drawing)|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Manufacturing Engineering||Thermal Engineering||Computer-Aided Manufacturing|
|Thermal Engineering||Design of Machine Elements||Tool Engineering|
|Theory of Machines||Manufacturing Engineering||Industrial Manufacturing|
|CADD||Industrial Design||Elective Subjects|
|Metrology and Instrumentation||Cost Estimating and Contracting||Project Work|
|Plant Maintenance and Safety||Elective Subject||-|
Project work is a very important part of the curriculum. The last two semesters have a special focus on project work which helps the student to implement their knowledge and skills.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Scope
A Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a very smart way of investing your time and money. After this course, you will have two options. You can study more and join the workforce later or if it is necessary you also enter the job market immediately. Both have their equal share of advantages.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Jobs
Entering the job market is very lucrative for mechanical engineer diploma holders. India has a lot of scope for engineers which helps a diploma holder find a job with ease.